Welcome to Aussie Property Forums - Australian Real Estate Discussion Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Aussie Property Forums - Australian Real Estate Discussion

Smoke Alarm Regulations

27-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Thought I would enter this as a new thread (from a side discussion on another thread).
Smoke alarms are mandatory in some states (maybe all states?). The discussion was whether it was mandatory to have them checked by a professional and some regular basis. Please feel free to add other states.
This I have copied from Victorian Building Commission (bold text I have added):

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au...oke-alarms.asp

"Buildings should not go up in smoke

Smoke alarms are compulsory and must be installed in every residential building on or near the ceiling of every storey.

The Building Regulations state that smoke alarms must meet the Australian Standard AS 3786-1993. You will find a range of complying models at most electrical appliance outlets or hardware stores.

Smoke alarms must be connected to your building's power mains as well as having a battery back-up, unless your building was built before 1 August 1997, where a battery-powered back-up meets the Regulations.

If you are renting a dwelling or unit, it is your landlord's responsibility to ensure smoke alarms are installed and kept in working condition. However, you can take action to ensure compliance with the Regulations at any time.

Smoke alarms are intended to detect smoke before it reaches people sleeping in a building. Therefore they must be located in a position designed to wake sleeping occupants up and in time to evacuate a building.

For smoke alarms to be effective, it is essential they be maintained. At the very least you should:

* Check that your smoke alarm is working by depressing the button on its outside.
* Replace your smoke alarm battery on an annual basis (if the battery is lithium ion, every ten years).
* If your smoke alarm emits a warning sound, a high-pitched single beep every 30 seconds, replace its battery.
* Clean your alarm regularly to remove dust particles.
* Familiarise yourself with the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines."

28-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Third party inspection is not mandatory and is, in my opinion, a waste of money.

Here is the other thread referred to, where I have made some further comments:

http://www.aussiepropertyforums.com/...read.php?t=395

The Rentwise Blog: practical tips for self-managing landlords.
blog.rentwise.com.au

02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Thanks MelbKate.
I checked my tax receipts. I paid $280. Apparently both hard wired alrms had "expired" and needed replacing to ensure compliance. The $280 included...
Annual Service and Certification Levy $75
2 new alarms @ $90
GST $25.50

Work was done late July last year, I wonder if I am going to have another visit.

Should I be a little suspicous, never heard of an expired alarm before? (House is less than 10 years old)

Bottom line on the cute certification certificate says
"Compliance Certificate valid upon payent of all outstanding moneys"
Wow lucky I paid otherwise the alarms wont work

Last edited by jbocker; 02-07-2010 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: correct the quotation

03-07-2010, 10:45 PM

If smoke detectors are wired directly into your electrical system, why would they require batteries? Or do they have a back-up battery in the event of a power failure?

2 new alarms @ $90 - what is a 'new alarm'?

Sorry JB, something doesn't smell right - perhaps your PM can explain...

The Rentwise Blog: practical tips for self-managing landlords.
blog.rentwise.com.au